C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Unofficial PKE FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 03:14 PM
yellowlust
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Unofficial PKE FAQ

There have been so many threads on the PKE I thought I'd combine what I've read into one place.

1. PKE was standard from 1993-1996.

2. There are three Tech Tips (look under Other in the menu bar, I wish the Tech Tips were place somewhere more convenient but maybe that's just me). And one is a dupe.

Tech Tip 1
Tech Tip 2
Tech Tip 3

3. In addition it seems every time someone has a PKE question someone says look in the owner's manual. After roughly a decade the owner's manuals aren't always with the car. Sure you can download them from the GM Owner's Website but I'll just post the important pages here from a 95 manual.

4. I've also seen several posts when the transmitter would operate the passenger's door and rear hatch but not unlock the driver's door. When this happens the PKE is turned off. You can check this by turning on the Ignition and checking to see if Passive Keyless lights up on the DIC. The owner's manual says that all you have to do is hold the door button until the locks cycle to turn it On. I've noticed that it doesn't always work. I think it works better to have the doors closed. Can anyone confirm this?

5. Different keyfobs. There are two different styles, one for the Coupes and one for the Convertibles. The difference is that the Coupes have a second button for the rear hatch. I have a Convertible and bought a Coupe fob. I can release the deck cover with the Hatch Release button. Convenient if I'm on the passenger side and need to pop it. The next time I'd probably just get the Convertible one as I seem to accidentally bump the Hatch button too often.

6. Where to buy PKE fobs.
Your local dealer: Expect to pay premium price.

ebay: As with all ebay expirences yours will vary. If you're lucky you'll get a functioning fob for a decent price. If not, well..

GM Parts Direct : You will need the part numbers. Part number for coupe is 10282929 and convert. is 10282930.I have seen some different part numbers listed. Price as of 10-17-2204 was $88.52 plus $17.72 for shipping & handling.

Xilor: From what I can tell they are the manufacturer for the fobs. This is where I got mine for $99 including shipping.

7. Can I add a PKE to a 1992 and earlier C4? Most likely no. As you can buy an aftermarket keyless entry for about the same or even less as just the PKE fob it's not worth it.

Anyone want to add anything?
Old 10-17-2004, 04:11 PM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-17-2004, 08:59 PM
BigTexas
Burning Brakes

Thanks! I just ordered a remote from gmdirect. Good price for a new one!

B.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:26 AM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This needs to be a sticky.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:10 AM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

I've tried ordering the remotes from GM Parts Direct and the orders have been canceled 3 times because they were out of stock. I eventually got my remote from my GM dealer for $120.00.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:18 PM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Great job, thankyou!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:07 PM
yellowlust
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone confirm the process for turning the PKE On and Off? Can you turn it back on with the Driver's Door open?

Get notified of new replies

To Unofficial PKE FAQ

Quick Reply: Unofficial PKE FAQ